SEARCH THIS BLOG

Saturday 9 June 2012

I BROW DOWN TO

Filling in your brows is the best way to achieve a truly finished look, it's also the one thing you can do to get an instantly polished and defined face and it will hide a little neglect or overzealousness in the plucking department!
These are 3 of my favourite products:

B E N E F I T   B R O W  Z I N G S | B R O W  S H A P I N G  K I T

I love Benefit's Brow-Zing (I use the dark brown colourway), its the first brow product I ever used.  It's great for creating the illusion of thicker brows or for creating brows where there are none- both without looking harshly artificial.
This product consists of a wax colour and powder colour, as well as miniature angled and straight brushes (and adorable mini tweezers).
I like to comb my brows first (you can use a clean mascara wand for more precision) , then apply the wax with the angled brush. This helps to fix the hairs in the direction you have combed them. I then apply the powder (sparingly) to the sparser areas and lightly to the fuller areas to create a unified colour.
Lastly, one more brush through with the clean mascara wand to get rid of excess product and even out any colour blotches.

This is a pricey product, but it did last me over a year; using it every day. 
There aren't many things I don't like about this product, but one downside for me was that I did end up using up the wax section a lot faster than I did the powder section. Using the powder alone doesn't really deliver the same result, as the wax really does add definition and staying power.
It's also a little time consuming, considering there are 2 products to apply, however it is worth the extra effort, as I used this on my wedding day and it looked great in the photos!


R I M M E L  |  P R O F E S S I O N A L   E Y E   B R O W  P E N C I L 

I was actually introduced to this pencil by my mum when I ran out of my regular brow filler. 
Firstly, I have to say that this is a real steal at £2.99, plus the added convenience of it being stocked in supermarkets.

To use this pencil, I usually brush my brows with a clean mascara brush, but this pencil comes with a nifty little brush attached to the lid (which I'll go into a bit more in a sec.) so one less tool for me to carry.
You have to be fairly light handed when applying, as the pencil is a bit soft and quite pigmented. I like to make tiny strokes to imitate hairs. When I'm done filling in, I use the brush attached to the lid to brush out excess and even out the colour. What's quite nice about this brush is that the bristles are arranged in "spaced bunches", resulting in a more natural looking slight colour variation when you brush over the pencil.

The downsides to this product; for me; is that over the course of the day the colour does tend to come off quite easily if you should accidentally brush against it- which I have done on occasion, only to find myself missing half an eyebrow when I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror!
 It also seems to take on a "crayon" like look after 5-6 hours of wear, but this can be remedied by brushing through it and reapplying where needed.


M . A . C. | E Y E   B R O W S  P E N C I L

I only started using this pencil recently, but I read such rave reviews about it that I had the try it out.
And I think it does live up to its reputation.
I go about applying it as I would any other pencil, but this pencil really does allow you to draw in tiny hair strokes because of its "self-propelling" and "self-sharpening" mechanisms.
I also find this is be the best colour for me (I have it in Spiked), it is lighter than my natural brows, but the contrast delivers a very natural result, as opposed to the overly dark I usually end up with.
This pencil also has amazing staying power, I have gone to bed with this (a cardinal sin, I know!) on and woken up with it looking as if I had just applied it.

While this is not the most expensive of pencils, it's not the cheapest and it does seems to get used up quite quickly, needing to be twisted up 2-3 times per use, which I feel is a lot considering I'm only filling in, not creating a brow shape. But I'm definitely going to purchase this product again.


No comments:

Post a Comment